We invite you to visit one of the largest showrooms
in North America (20,000 sq/ft) for espresso/cappuccino and cafe
equipment. With a fabulous showroom of past and present
machines, a visit to the Faema showroom and offices is worth the
Bits of History
In 1914 John Graham and Company, Architects, designed the
building as the Ford Motor Company factory and showroom.
Ford's new Toronto home opened on Feb. 22, 1915 - just at the
time of this year's car show. This annual event, put on by
the city's car dealers,
was the forerunner of the present
Canadian International Auto Show that's also held in February.
From a contemporary newspaper:
"... on the main floor is a richly appointed showroom, a
customer waiting room, executive offices, a lunch room for the
female workers and, at the rear, a modern garage.
On the second floor are the loading and unloading facilities for
the crates that arrive by box-car from the main plant. Here,
too, is a huge parts stockroom and, across the hall, a second
room in which busy salesmen can rest themselves and their busy
... entire third floor is a repair shop complete with the most
up-to-date tools and equipment.
The assembly line is located one floor above. This is where the
parts in these crates are turned into nice, shiny Model Ts.
On the fifth floor is the paint shop where customers can have
their vehicle finished in any colour, as long as it is black.
Now we're on the roof, where each new product is put through its
paces on an abbreviated version of a full-size test track."
In 1925 the Ford Motor Company of Canada decided that increased
production requires new, larger facilities.
The building at corner of Dupont and Christie had to undergo
some structural changes in order to accomodate new tenants -
various food processing companies, including Planter's
From information prepared for the Toronto Historical Board
"The property at 672 Dupont Street, known as the Ford Motor
Company of Canada building, is recommended for inclusion on the
Inventory of Heritage Properties for architectural reasons."
The Board accepted the recommendation and included the building,
as property #73 on the list.
In 1999 the former motorcar manufactory looks almost exactly as
it did in its early days, 85 years ago. Former showroom's beauty
has been meticulously restored and now it hosts FAEMA's cafe.
What, in Ford's days, was loading and unloading facilities on
the first floor now became FAEMA's showroom and offices.
Other floors are occupied by various offices and warehouses